View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
talkin' about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I can't help but wonder if this would make any appreciable difference on a modified car, or if it would even be remotely testable without a wind tunnel.

Of course, this begs the question, and I'm not trying to shut down this thread or anything: If something changes airflow too little to make a measurable difference, is it worth talking about?
If the DOT won't let us do the camera system replacement,then I suppose that there's gonna be a lot of dialogue about potential technologies and their savings with mirrors,and no stone will be left unturned.
Olsson,at Chalmers University did say that his scale model testing ought to be followed up with full-scale testing in order to optimize all the interactions.Something that can't be done at small scale.
The car/mirror must be evaluated as a system.We won't be able to attach mirrors to a wind tunnel wall or sting and learn anything.
What's worse,each car is different,so there isn't going to be any one-size-fits-all solution.
Since there are hundreds of millions of vehicles on the road,the energy department and EPA may be interested in mirror R&D to mitigate waste/air pollution.
The more streamlined the cars become,the more important the mirrors become.
BamZipPow (03-27-2015)