View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Lol, don't hate! I love working in the truss industry and have been in it my whole life, at one time or another holding every position humanly possible, and two of my kids are in the truss estimating department at my work. It's about the most stable job in the building industry, if anybody's building anything, they need trusses!
No time for hate, but it makes me sad that we continue down this path. Thirty-forty years of housing stock that should be pulled down and replaced.

The first time I worked in roofing trusses was in the 60s. We literally built the plant ourselves around us between orders. All summer we worked in a hot concrete box and made flat trusses when there were no customers. When the roof was up it got dark and noisy. Then the guy failed at business and as it wound down I rotated through every job in the place except accounting. I was driving the delivery truck (ten tons plus five ton trailer) when the brakes failed going up a hill. That was pretty much the nail in the coffin when he couldn't deliver his product.

The second time, in this century, the plant was part of a regional complex and there were lasers to mark the layout of the gang-nail plates on the assembly line. But there was no feedback at all on how I was doing my job before "Totally unacceptable! Clear out your desk" right at the end of the fiscal year. So I went downscale to being a clerk in a thrift store.

Anyway, if you put the same floorplan under an engineered-truss roof and a geodesic (or even Monolith) dome; the dome house will be warmer, quieter and cleaner. That's just the way it is. And you don't get blind-sided by wind loads on the gable ends.

My son bought a house with a truss roof—he went up in the crawl space to the Ethernet cabling, and swore he'd never have to to go there again. That's space he's paying for. With a mortgage.

I looked again at the Tridepanel website. It looks like their technology would make an [irregular] hexagon panel with 10-11° edges, that would bolt or glue together. A skylight/vertical axis windmill at the summit and your done.

redpoint5 -- At the floor-planning stage you can arrange to have wet-walls and ducting in the interior walls. Plus a doorbell and light at the entrance.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-26-2015 at 06:25 PM..