View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
firehawk618
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Ok 15 mile test drive and here's the results.

When I was in LB I was able to basically keep my foot on the throttle and press the button causing the car to gradually lose speed. The great news is when I pressed the button again to run the engine it was STILL in LB! I did this several times and it always maintained LB.

This can be very good. I have several places where the car will start to gradually go down hill which results in picking up too much speed. If I lift off the throttle that immediately disables LB. Sometimes it'll come right back when I resume cruising, other times it's like the ECU decides it's penalty time and LB won't come back for miles.

I did find ONE problem though. After doing the above, on a relatively long stretch where I was holding the throttle position and scrubbing speed by disabling the injectors the car threw a CEL. What's really odd is when I turned the injectors back on it was STILL in LB and maintained it the remainder of my test drive.

This proved to me that just because you have a CEL doesn't mean no LB. It's going to depend on what that code is.

The code it threw was a P1508 "IAC Valve Circuit Failure".

I am going to check my diagrams better and see if that wire I am pulling power from feeds the injectors AND the IAC valve.

If so, i'll reconfigure things so the IAC isn't losing +12v and see if the CEL still triggers when doing this.

I will report my findings when I figure it out.