View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #57 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keito View Post
You're a lot more than just a professional collision tech bro.
My pants got tight reading this thread.
Thanks. It gets a little boring doing the same old production repairs in a body shop, and a lot of us dream of doing custom stuff, hot rods, harleys, etc. Doing these EV conversions is a great way to get outside the box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Did you bottom balance the pack, or are you using BMS?
The pack was top balanced in parallel with a bench type DC power supply before being installed, and now the top balance is maintained with an Orion BMS.

When I first started converting vehicles to EVs, I bought an Orion to simply top balance my pack, but did not understand the difference between an Orion and other BMS units. The term BMS to me referred to a generic device that top balances a pack, but I have since come to understand that the Orion is far beyond that. It is basically my ECM, and it does everything from top balancing my pack to providing all the data for my instrumentation, to communicating with my motor controller for regulating current output in such a way that my pack can never be abused in any way. The Orion has proven to be the gateway to a very advanced EV that I never would have achieved if I had originally purchased a different BMS. I was naive when I bought the first Orion, but stumbled on something huge. I have done several conversions using the Orion, and each one is more advanced as I learn how to use all the features of the Orion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
bespurcell (01-13-2016), NeilBlanchard (03-27-2015)