View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I did not realize that pneumatics had left, but much prefer hydraulics to avoid compressibility issues. I like my compressibility limited to the bladder (inert gas) in the accumulator.

To boil it down a little consider the hydraulic launch assist, an independent system that works on the (otherwise undriven) rear axle of a fwd vehicle.

Basically it converts inertia to pressure, in two steps. wheel to accumulator-accumulator to wheel. Efficiency about 95% overall, regen to apply. On flat ground you can basically turn it into a hill, "climbing" while using better bsfc to add pressure over maintaining velocity in your vehicle, once the accumulator charge reaches capacity (always with a reserve), you reverse stroke on the launch assist rear axle, which drives the car, allowing the engine to shut down, for a distance approaching 1.5 mile, before the cycle is renewed.

Purchased as an option or retrofitted, a launch assist rear axle makes any car a hybrid or better yet EVERY car a hybrid, capable of automated pulse and glide without any variation is vehicle speed, which has been shown to double efficiency overall.

Capacity? One acceleration event from 0-75 mph, or onepulse inevery 1.5 miles on perfectly flat ground, very close to the range of a 1gen Insight on battery alone.

Don't worry, the patent expires in another 12.5 years.

regards
mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (03-28-2015), redpoint5 (03-28-2015)