View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
starmag
EcoModding Lurker

Cold air feed via naca duct in flat floor

Hi guys, im currently trying to find the best way to get cold car to the air filter and intercooler on my kit car project.
im still learning and find 'racecar aerodynamics - Joseph Katz' to be a very good read!

Number one problem is the engine is in the rear.. i.e mid engined and getting cold air there is quite difficult.

I plan on making a flat floor and use a couple of naca ducts to force air to the rear, one will feed the air filter and one to feed the intercooler. I'm unsure on which route to go... i have a couple ideas in my head.

I was thinking of having the naca duct go to an airbox with an air filter in obviously! i dont know wether to put a lid on the airbox, which may increase lift? as the air will have no where to continue flowing

OR

To have an exit vent out of the engine cover to give a path for the air to flow, the only trouble is induction air may get sucked in via the exit vent and cause some turbulence and this air wont be filtered... Or will the exit location determine wether this will happen or not?

OR just use the naca duct as a cold air feed and have a cone filter placed in the genearal area.

The same principle will apply for the intercooler, although having an exit duct will be useful as there will be no induction problems.

I hope that makes sense to someone, i am by no means an expert, just thinking logically from the little i have learnt.

Can anyone offer any advice on this on what will work? any help will be greatly received

James