Thread: Morelli Shape
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Morrelli Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bullis View Post
I see mention of the Morelli shape and am trying to find a detailed description of his work in 1983. The pictures I have found look very much like the Aptera, except with integrated wheels.

This is an important topic since the Morelli shape could represent a major breakthrough in automotive aerodynamics. But I would not be sure of this until I saw the details. Curiously this result came out in 1983 but has largely been ignored as far as I can see.

Does anyone have real data on this?
What your looking for is in Hucho's book.It's shown at the bottom of a table of aero forms.And it is virtually the Aptera form.Thing is though,the numbers are for free-stream flow,up out of ground-effect.I've not kept abreast of the most recent developments and personally do not no if Dr.Morelli's shape was ever tested with wheels attached and on the ground plane.The lowest drag form that I know of,occurs in the same table as the Morelli shape.It's a body of revolution,like the 2.5:1 teardrop,has a Cd0.04,has a Cd 0.8 in ground effect,and Cd 0.13 with wheels,same as Paul Jaray's "pumpkin seed" of 1922.Don't expect any "Miracle-Shape" to emerge from any wind tunnels,including MITor Pininfarina.All the fundamental research was done long ago.
ERTW (02-14-2012)