View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
bandit86
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I'd leave the trailer low and enjoy the reduced frontal area up high.
I am thinking of active air dam and side skirts on my truck. Something I can flip a switch and raise when things get rough. I may build it so I have to get out and pin it up to save technology/money. There is a ton of bad air going under these 4x4's. If you pushed that air aside then the low trailer would not hurt so much.
Glad to see another 3rd gen on here. I just got one and have not broken above 19 MPG yet. Only one tank in so far and I suspect my entire engine is worn out. Fresh injectors may help a great deal.
My injectors quit after driving 600 miles home last year. Symptoms are taking longer, more than 5 seconds to start. Didn't notice a mileage decrease, maybe an increase with brand new injectors. At 55 I can hit mid 20 for mileage, 35 inch tires drop the rpm down to about 1500. Tuner is set on performance mode.

Towing this camper home I tried different power settings on the highway, towing mode lost 1 mpg, no power another 2. Going for a short round trip I did notice 6th gear was too low for towing, the engine sounds great but im down to 8mpg cruising. I tried 5th gear which gets the rpm up higher, seems I can get into low 10s

The campers front is absolutely muddy, seems all the tire spray gets up on the camper. Id like to get some air dams on the truck, see if it helps, the bottom of the front bumper is quite high off the ground.