View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Toyota AE86 Value?

I know a bit about these cars, but not much. I really like them, as in I always check them out when I see them in traffic and think "Man I'd really like one of those one day." And I know they are considered over rated, or under rated, depending on who you ask. But what are they worth? I figure there have to be a few fans of them on here that know waaaay more about that than I do! 8 years ago I missed out on an original paint, low KMs, rusty but savable '86 GTS hatch with a 5 speed for $300, and it still haunts me.

But the car in question is a 1987 GTS hatch, 5 speed. It's original paint black with original decals on it still, black interior, with a factory sunroof (sadly), 188k KMs (116k miles), second owner. Always maintained at Toyota if you can believe that. I used to work with the guy that has it, it was his only car that he drove to work everyday. I used to harass him to sell it to me years ago and he would just laugh. A few years ago he bought an older BMW M3 and parked the Toyota in a garage. I continued to harass him to sell it to me, and he said the usual "No I am going to restore it". Last week I saw him, and he said "Sure, $5000 take it away." Now I don't know for sure if he was serious, but I am debating getting $5000 in cash and showing up at his front door. Let me state the car is far from nice. It does need bodywork, but not for rust. One of the 1/4 panels is crunched, but fixable. And there's 30 years worth of dents, dings, and scratches on it. So to fix it, you'd need to get rid of the original paint and decals which seems a shame. The interior is decent, not mint but decent. Factory Toyota stereo in the dash still. Factory alloy wheels etc. As a survivor car it is badass. Toyota dealer oil change sticker in the windshield still. But it's a lot of money to make it nice. So, experts, whattya think? $5000 is a lot for a 28 year old Toyota that needs work, but it's probably the nicest 28 year old Toyota that needs work you'd find.