View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #774 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
This may be the case 99% of the time, but there are some exceptions. Smart Cars for example. They initially were released as diesel only in Canada, and we didn't get gasoline powered ones until they were released as gasoline cars in the states. As far as I know the diesel ones can't be imported to any state in the U.S. due to emissions. There is probably a workaround somewhere, but it makes it not worth exporting them. Importing across the border is a federal matter, then each state will have it's own standards for what can be registered there. There are all sorts of weird rules and exceptions you'd never think of until you get stuck with a car you can't export haha. Just like there are certain years of mid 2000s Corvettes that can't be imported from the USA to Canada unless the bumpers are changed. Really? They are all built in the same factory in Kentucky, yet apparently the bumpers on American market Corvettes for those years didn't meet the Canadian crash standards. So I wouldn't be surprised if there is a certain year/model of TDI that was fine up here but not available down there for some reason. Currently we are finding that some 2014 Fords can't be exported the same as others because they don't have the correct emissions decal under the hood. The cars are exactly the same, but some seem to have one decal up here, and others have another. Depending on the decal, the car may or may not need to have at least 7500 miles on it before it can be exported...I wish I had the spare time it would take to make that up! So we currently have a 2014 Fusion being driven by everyone and their dog to get the mileage up to 7500 so we can get rid of the thing!
Lots of Canadians drive their cars across the boarder, I wonder what would happen if you just started an LLC or something in Canada and kept the Canadian tags on the car. Or if you just drove one over, then applied for a lost title with a US bill of sale in your local state. The VIN would show up clean as in not stolen, and the locals may issue you a new state title with winch you can get US plates. I see local dealers telling Canadians to set up a Montana LLC so they can buy the US cars which the manufactures say can only be sold to US residents as the same car costs a bunch more in Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
UltArc (04-05-2015)