Thread: side-cameras?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
The angle is way better than a normal mirror. The angle it is sitting at shows the side of the car pretty much up to the angle you see out the window while looking at the screen so it gives great coverage. The IR things are all but useless at night. They can show stuff about 15ft away at best. The limited use I have had at night with them it isn't an issue because you can always see the marker lights or headlights just fine. Haven't had the sun shining directly at them since the sun doesn't do that around here but it really doesn't hurt a ccd sensor to point it at the sun other than it just washes out the image. So the screen would probably just show solid white but that will be a lot less glare than a mirror.

I have replaced the dash vents and put the screens in the openings. The glove box is under that panel. The cables that come with it are pretty long, like 20' so it could be mounted anywhere. Somewhere closer to the driver would be much better but a metro has a very small dash and I didn't have anywhere else I could put it