View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #776 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Lots of Canadians drive their cars across the boarder, I wonder what would happen if you just started an LLC or something in Canada and kept the Canadian tags on the car. Or if you just drove one over, then applied for a lost title with a US bill of sale in your local state. The VIN would show up clean as in not stolen, and the locals may issue you a new state title with winch you can get US plates. I see local dealers telling Canadians to set up a Montana LLC so they can buy the US cars which the manufactures say can only be sold to US residents as the same car costs a bunch more in Canada.
In Canada the plates don't stay with the car like they do in the USA. Here your registration and insurance go with the owner, so when I sell a car to someone here, I take my plates off it, and the new owner gets new plates for it when they register and insure it. I have seen rental companies that leave the Canadian registration/plates on their vehicles even though they are only used in the states, but one day that is going to come back to haunt them. There is a loophole in every system, there always is, but you'd have to REALLY want one of those cars that's not allowed down there to find it.