View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I may go back to a belt driven water pump.

How to find a good 6.2L block. Stay away from the 660 casting if you can. See the engine run if you can.
I have horrible luck with used engines so I just rebuild them.
The high Ni blocks are cool but don't get hung up on finding one.
I think the best 6.2 block are the ones machined during the years that GM made both 6.2 and 6.5 at the same factory. They fixed the 660 casting design flaw in this casting and the blocks were cast so they could be bored to 6.2 or 6.5L. When bored to 6.2 the cylinders are stupid thick. These blocks are as desirable if not more than the high Ni blocks.
Also go with small valve heads. The small valve heads rarely crack.

Problem with going beltless is the water pump, that's a constant 5 amp electrical draw. A belt driven coolant pump makes an alt delete much more possible.

Problem with some kind of on/off power steering is the hydroboost brake system. I say get a gasser (like I did) keep the vacuum brake booster and you can run on the highway with the P/S unhooked or on a clutch. I would like to come up with some kind of way to clutch the P/S.
Then replace the vacuum pump with an oil pump drive out of a military HMMWV.
The cam vacuum pump adds an additional 500 watt load at cruise RPM.
You can replace the always turning, almost always unneeded vacuum pump with an electric vacuum pump that can almost always stay off.

Also run a J-code intake manifold. I tested all three, C then J then F and went back to J.
I also installed a peninsular upper plenum, its made for an F code intake but with a little adaptor plate I made it fit.

If you are going to tow, get a 3/4 ton and stay with 2wd if you can stand it.
As far as I can tell there is minimal weight difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.
It looks like 4x4 half ton with a 350 will weigh more than a 2wd 3/4 ton with a 454.

I also noticed that the 454 suburbans are in pretty good condition. Have lower miles than SBC and diesel counterparts. For example the suburban I bought has 140k miles that's less than 5k per year average. Another one I looked at had just over 100k and there were a few survivor 3/4 ton 454 powered suburbans with under 50k.
All the 350s and diesels normally have way over 200k miles and people want way too much for them. For some reason 2wd 454 powered suburbans are not that desirable.