View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Let's avoid politics just as the forum rules imply.
Politics is not the issue here anyway.
Not all charging points do lock the cable, not even all public ones.
Locking the cable certainly is not a government decree. Don't blame them.
I have observed over the years that forum rules that prohibit political discussion are set up to silence only one side of the aisle, but I still respect the rules of various forums, however hypocritical they may be. In the case of the J plug, I do not know for sure if locking the cable is a government thing or not, but I am curious. I suspect that the government may have had a hand in this, but I honestly don't know. It seems unlikely that every single car manufacturer would decide on their own to equip their cars with no other means of charging other than this special plug, so it kinda smells like the government may be involved with it, but apparently, they did not build or invent it. The SAE part of its technical name suggests that a team or committee of automotive engineers from the society of automotive engineers came up with it. As far as I am aware, the government would certainly view the sae as an authority in coming up with a means of charging EVs, and my guess is that the government probably blessed this plug because of who designed it. I would also guess that neither the government or the sae really looked at it from a practical point of view. I really do not know if the government has had a hand in this, but I do know that my traditional extension cords are not worth enough to lock, and that I can charge my EVs faster than I could with one of those expensive locking special ones.