View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 04:14 AM   #69 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
I have stopped trying to force leanburn to happen. I have found I'm much better off to just use 5th gear even though that may put me at too low of RPM's for LB to happen.

When I do get the VX gearing installed I will basically lose any chance of LB when in 5th gear unless I'm above 70mph. I will again experiment with a lower gear to get LB vs lower RPM.

One thing I have been doing now though is killing the engine at stops when possible and EOC everywhere possible.

My commute to work is mostly uphill travels therefore my commute home is a lot of down hill travel. I have been taking advantage of this. I can coast roughly 4 miles every day!

Here's the breakdown about the sensor I was talking about, bare with me as honda made this as confusing as possible.

Fuel tank pressure sensor:

1996 EX only has it
1997 Coupes all have it IF they are EX or HX
1997 All California emissions cars have it
1998 All cars have it

If you find a 1999 or 2000 don't bother unless it's already a HX. The reason is honda went from obdiia to obdiib in 1999 and the body side of the harness is completely different. It will NOT be plug and play HOWEVER the HX stayed obdiia it's entire span from 1996 to 2000.

One work around I can think of is get an ecu from a 96 HX as it will not expect this sensor therefore you won't have to mess with it.

Confused now? lol

Honestly I would say just get whatever chassis you can as long as it's 98 or older and whatever HX swap you can and make it happen. The worst case scenario you will have to swap fuel tanks and run 2-3 wires.

I just got REALLY lucky I started with a 98 LX and stumbled upon the swap out of a 97 HX. The stars and planets aligned for the easiest possible conversion. I had to run ZERO extra wires and had to re-pin ZERO connectors. Straight up plug in and go.

I do really like the D16Y5. It has SO much more bottom end torque than my D16Y7 or D16Y7 with the Y8 head EVER did. It's really easy to putt along at 1200 rpm's and even take slight inclines without down shifting.

It seems like this engine is impossible to lug.
Ironically, there's a car I want 44 minutes away from where you are...but 550 miles from where I am. WTF?

OMG.

can't wait until one comes up near me...

Thanks for the info on the swap...I will probably not get the chance to do that like you did but i'll keep my eye out for a blown-engine 'mechanics special' haha.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!