View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 01:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
miscrms
EcoModding Lurker

Awesome project! Very inspiring! I'm planning something very similar soon, transplanting a complete Leaf drivetrain into a 1973 Saab Sonett. A bit more quirky, but even lighter and slightly lower CdA than the Gen 1 Insight!

I'll try to start a new thread to discuss, but anyway here's what I've come up with so far in case its of interest in the mean time.

Host vehicle acquired last month, this particular one was converted to a 96V DC electric system back in '90s and is still in drivable working order. It also had quite a bit of restoration work already done, a great head start all around!

Based on some preliminary modeling I've done using the "Excel Dyno" and bringing in some real world measured wheel torque from a Leaf, it could be quite a kick in the pants, in addition to pretty darn efficient. The far right column is the estimated performance of the Leaf drivetrain in the Leaf body copied into the scratch space. Seems relatively accurate from what I gather. The third column from the right shows the estimated performance when transplanted into the Sonett, which should be fairly similar to the Insight I would think. Two big caveats, the way the Leaf is measured probably does not include the controller's torque throttling for the first 1-2 seconds from a stop, and even if you get around that keeping all that torque applied to the pavement in a light FWD vehicle will be challenging to say the least

I've also done some preliminary CAD work to check for fit of the main leaf components as best I could estimate their dimensions:

I'm also pouring through the factory service manuals for the Leaf to try and figure out the minimum set of components that will allow the drive train (with the primary VCM controller still running the show) to be fully functional.

I've started documenting some of those findings in this thread on mynissanleaf, but not getting a whole lot of input there yet. Not sure yet how thrilled they are about the idea of someone chopping one up

I've started watching the salvage auctions and have a friend lined up with a license to buy there, so hopefully I'll have a donor on the way in the next few months.

Look forward to following your progress, and the best of luck!

Rob
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miscrms For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-13-2015), elhigh (04-14-2015), mikeyjd (04-14-2015), MobilOne (05-31-2015)