View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
tacotuesday
Eco Bandwagoner

Toyota Tacoma Active Aerodynamics

Hey guys,

I've been reading through this forum religiously for quite a while and decided it was time to include my projects on the forum!

I drive a 2005 2.7L Toyota Tacoma single cab (5-lug).

I've been interested in the topic of cab spoilers and bed covers for quite some time and I'm impressed with how much effort has gone into them. BUT, I also noticed that there are very few people interested in active cab spoilers. So here is my summer project I plan to start in May:

1. Install a Scangauge to monitor my exact MPG's.
2. Make and Install a simple half tonneau for testing using some angle iron and coroplast (which I've successfully done before).
3. Make a light bar for the bed, and install an adjustable spoiler on it.
(Note: To make it adjustable I plan to use an actuator)
4. Test the truck at various speeds while adjusting the cab spoiler to determine the optimal angles of the spoiler at each speed.
5. If the spoiler proves to be helpful, I'll have my computer science buddies set up an Arduino to adjust the spoiler to the optimal height as I drive.

To answer a few questions that I'm sure will come up:

-I plan to use the Scanguage to determine optimal angles as improved aerodynamics should result in improved MPG's

-I'm also expecting to make the spoiler rather small. About 12" in length, and 40ish" wide to match the cab (I have the exact measurements written down somewhere) unlike the full 20+" used in the Texas Tech experiment.

-I will devise a plan to bridge the gap between the spoiler and the cab, taking into account that it must be flexible.

I wanted to throw this on here and see if anyone has any recommendations on materials for the spoiler, spoiler shapes, etc. or if anyone has any input at all on how to make this experiment successful. I have just over a month to plan.

Let loose

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tacotuesday For This Useful Post:
aardvarcus (04-13-2015), BamZipPow (04-13-2015), JeffD (04-12-2015), mikeyjd (04-12-2015)