View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #117 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
I wish everyone one on this forum could get along.

Why can't we keep a open mind? Rusty hasn't made any crazy claims?

Combustion theory has a lot of unknowns. I still don't understand why we can't have a open discussion?
I have done some groundwork into HHO and have a good idea what it is and is not. I certainly would not build a business plan around it, but it is worthy of at least an honest look to see it's limits and provide the groundwork for others to use. The work I did in passing almost 2 decades ago was not extensive. The information is also owned by the development group I currently work for. I received permission last November to openly discuss the gasoline portion of our work just as long as I don't use certain data they own. Consequently, I will have to recreate some of the work and find a way around the need for an EPA qualified lab.

But, this much I can say. At 15Kw absorbed power to the rolling dyno, the four gasoline vehicles tested showed a change in indicated BSFC of -2, 0, 5 and 9 % with a resolution of 0.5% for calculated BSFC. The engine sizes ranged from 993cc to 5.2 L. Other than a basic tune, no adjustments were made to the engines. The electrolysis cells were powered by the vehicle charging system. Only the 5.2 L was an OBDII (1996). The rest were OBDI with the 2.2 L engine a carbureted feedback.

Because of time constraints, only the 993 cc engine was tested in lean-burn at 15 Kw absorbed power. This is really the only place I can see HHO having any value as the engine struggled to provide the requisite power at 20:1 AFR, but could easily do so at 22:1 AFR with the addition of HHO. At 7 Kw absorbed power, the little engine could smoothly run to the limits of the instrumentation - 28:1 AFR. That was the limit of the wide-band O2 sensor. Leaner mixtures could be calculated from the fuel flow meters spliced into the fuel feed/return lines and the air speed-density calculations. But, I ran out of time. I would really like to explore the possibilities more fully.

This is all I can reveal, but it gives you enough to chew on even without the rpm, temperature and augmented gas volumes, etc.

As you can see, there was nothing for an investor to get excited about, so they pulled the plug on anything HHO and they moved to other solutions.

I will reiterate these findings and comment further when I start the build thread.

I am at the point of finalizing my testing protocol and collecting/building some of the instrumentation. But, with the day job and family demands, that can take time. Hopefully, I can start sooner than later.

Last edited by RustyLugNut; 04-13-2015 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: additional.