View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #119 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
I started this thread to rant. I also used it to put out the theory on how HHO might work. Just because it is a theory does not mean it has no value. It is based on solid everyday science that is taught at a university level all across the globe. And the errors Frank Lee refers to have no impact on the viability of that science.
So you just wanted to rant?
To accomplish what?

Your courteous lashing involved references to cancer and the digestive process.
I don't recall much of that from other posters.

We have been going over the science thing before.
You don't really back up your science claims.
In the end there only was a document about a completely different engine design with specific problems that under special conditions could benefit from hydrogen seeding.
Nothing indicates it would have that effect on a well running conventional engine.
You just combined a few things and drew conclusions, but to do it scientifically you have to describe all the steps you took and thoroughly try to disprove them yourself; if anything it would help as preparation for the scrutiny you'd get from your peers.

I'll give you an example of how combining ideas can get you carried away.

Do you know the green flash after sunset? Watching the last phase of the setting sun, you can sometimes see a green flash. It is notoriously hard to catch on camera, and it has often been suggested that it is imaginary or just a counterimage from looking at the red sun.
But those who have seen it are certain that it is real.

Then I read that we can actually see infrared light.
We do not see the color 'infra-red' as such. It appears green to the eye...
(You can find a more scientific reference here.)

So I had a brilliant idea.
What if the green flash is in fact an infra-red flash?
As the sun sets the short wave length light get filtered out until only red remains. But it will no doubt also contain a good deal of infra red light, with an even longer wavelength than red.
I put these things together with an amazing result.

Further analysis shows however that it is highly unlikely that the green flash is infrared.
Infrared light must be abundant in the sunset, and we can apparently see it but not like that; the IR photons will not be consistently paired like in laser light. And there are other reasons which I will no further delve in.
I won't get the Nobel prize for unraveling the green flash mystery.

It is easy to get carried away when you start combining scientific findings.
While great discoveries can be made by doing so, it is essential to get it right; like verifying that the conditions are compatible.

It is obvious that any kind of proof that the green flash is in fact infrared light perceived green by the human eye should involve a spectral analysis of the light at sunset, recreating the conditions in the lab and reproducing the result by it.

Maybe your ideas have not met the same strictness of analysis, and while you wave the flag for science you do not meet its minimal requirements.

In fact, you don't need to; if you can prove it works it works, whether it matches theory or not.
We rather see the result and theorise on what causes it than just theorise.
But I suspect you will just send out more words.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
P-hack (04-13-2015)