View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
I wasn't referring to the tubes (liquid passages) being open, but the fins (air passages) through the front. If they are crushed or constricted, they can prevent airflow, which will make your transmission overheat, fluids turn dark, and ultimate failure. Since you had transmission issues that included dark fluid and since your power steering fluid is also dark, I would check this.

Backstory:
Some genius pressure washed the front of my old 1991 Chevy k2500 before I owned it, which folded over all the fins of the AC condenser, seriously restricting the airflow through the radiator and transmission cooler. Me, not knowing much about cars at the time, repeatedly took the truck to the shop for various engine and transmission issues, which I now know were symptoms of the AC condenser problem. Many thousands of dollars later, I finally figured out the actual problem on my own, no thanks to any of the many mechanics who had seen the truck, removed the AC condenser and all the issues went away. If I had replaced the AC condenser with a new one the day I bought the truck, I would not have had any of the issues I did. That is why I suggest checking the fins of your AC condenser, radiator, etcetera and make sure air can flow through and that they are not clogged.
Oh. I'll do that, thanks. I'm not sure if it's that or if one or more previous owners just neglected to change fluids.