View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
firehawk618
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Oh I almost forgot. make sure to lube the pivot ball where it mates with the release fork (5th attached photo). It may even be worth it to replace the pivot ball if there is any indication of it lacking lube. I have seen the pivot ball break off from lack of lube and seen the mating point of the release fork with a hole worn through it from the pivot ball. Looks like what you have had been lubed so you should be ok. Lightly lube where the throughout bearing rides on the collar and a small blob where the imput shaft goes into the back of the crankshaft, but not too much in either place so it won't get on the clutch disc and cause chatter.

regards
mech

Absolutely. I have come cross many pivots / forks that were pretty much ruined due to the friction there and lack of grease.

I personally always closely inspect that point as well as the shaft the throw out bearing slides on. I've come across a few transmission cases essentially ruined due to lack of lube on that shaft and deep scoring of the bearing sliding back and forth on it.

It seems like the days of replacing the input bearing retainer to fix that are long gone! Now it's replace a transmission case.

I just used a pilot bearing remover tool and was able to easily remove the counter shaft bearing as well as input shaft bearing with it. I would never use this approach if I were planning on re-using those bearings.

I also tore apart my Si transmission and the shift forks look perfect! Woo hoo!

The Following User Says Thank You to firehawk618 For This Useful Post:
Chrysler kid (04-15-2015)