View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)

A couple more notes-

-Trailers like this almost always come with a little 'safety strap' that you're supposed to string around your chainstay in case the hitch fails. DO NOT TRUST THESE! I saw firsthand when my friend's custom hitch came loose- without a strap, the trailer simply spiraled to a stop. If it would have had a strap there, the hitch likely would have fallen straight into the wheel, likely breaking spokes, locking up the wheel, or similarly giving him a really bad day. Remove the strap and throw it in the trash.*

-The bike side of the hitch sometimes is a bit of a hassle to mount. Mine is currently clamped into my quick release 170mm rear axle. Getting the axle over both dropouts and keeping the hitch plate on the outside is a real chore. Above friend has come up with a novel solution- mounting the hitch plate to the rear disc brake mount! I am planning on doing this in time because it is just so slick. The brake mount is an integral part of the frame, and a solid mounting point for anything- after all, it has to stop 200lbs of rider and bike on a 9" lever. The hitch mount extends diagonally rear and downward from the brake mount, so the trailer hooks on just aft of the rear axle.

Edit for picture:

-The trailer I currently use is steel, and is rusting from the inside. I don't know how long it will last, but I may need to get it powder coated if I'm going to keep it long-term. This is something to consider if you're going to be out in the salt.

-I'm still battling road spray from the rear bike tire going onto the middle of the cargo. I tried doing a makeshift fender on the bike but it didn't stay put. The best I've come up with as yet is to cover my cargo with a tarp. Not exactly high-tech. One option would be to make a canvas cargo topper like a military truck. I'm open to ideas, but once I get a rear rack it the modular fender may become more plausible.

*This is assuming you are not hauling humans on the trailer. At that point it is up to you- would you rather sacrifice your wheel and safety, possibly crashing in the process, or take the chance that the trailer will spin out in the right direction, away from traffic? The best option is always to overbuild your hitch. There aren't many good options available on the market, so it's up to your ingenuity and possibly your proficiency with modding caster wheels!

Last edited by Sven7; 04-17-2015 at 09:01 AM..