View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
WildLand
EcoModding Lurker

Carrie - '00 Toyota Tacoma 2x4 Prerunner EC
Pickups
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hi,

If you need it for offroading purposes on a regular basis, then you're one of the few people who actually does need his 4x4.

Since that 3" lift is an off-roading necessity, you could get some aero back with the addition of an air dam up front. To help it survive trail bashes, make it from something that will give under impact, like baler belting. Add "springs" to its back side, also made from belting, to help it keep its shape at speed so it doesn't flop back and lose its effectiveness.
I don't offroad on a regular basis which is good and also I don't have a 4x4 (2x4 with electronic lockers) so get better gas milage already. Just weekends. That is a good idea with the belt and springs behind it, a lot more durable to bashing! What do you mean springs made from the actual belting? Just a piece the connects to the belt to the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Welcome to EM! I enjoy these Taco threads. I have a 4Runner of the same vintage as your Taco, but you don't see too many 4Runners on here, let alone SUVs. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

A few suggestions: when explaining your mods over on TW, just remember it's all about marketing... as in these mods are necessary for "armor" while offroading.

Also, something I have always though would be cool would be some sort of active aerodynamics for the camper shell. It would be cool to have something like the struts for the shell window for the front and back of the shell and they could move up while hauling stuff and move down to match the template while hitting the pavement. Does that make sense? I'm more of a visual type. Basically your camper shell can morph into what BZP's truck looks like sans trailer.
Haha exactly! Good to see another yota - especially a 4 runner. Yup don't see much of them around on here.

So are you saying something like that one guy on here with the f150 where the areo pops up into a full size camper shell?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...d-cap-583.html

Also... Does everything have to follow the model to work? Will adding a little wing at the top be beneficial at all like this, fig 1?

fig 1

I understand the concept of aerodynamics but maybe not so much in vehicles. A triangle is more aerodynamic than a rectangle but just having a triangle in the bed, fig 2.1, 2.2, doesn't yield results (is my understanding). Or does it but just not that great if it is a couple degrees difference or shorter in length?

fig 2.1

fig 2.2

Is there something I can read that will help me understand this a little more? Thanks!!

Last edited by WildLand; 04-17-2015 at 12:26 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to WildLand For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-18-2015)