View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
roosterk0031
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
You're the first person out of hundreds, that believes short trials are better than long trials. I can see why you tote ethanol & do NOT know of the greatness of E0. My 3 cars got the same mileage(using E0 or E10), whether they were new or had 100,000 miles. My 3 cars got their best mpg from the word go. I never understood why drivers kept saying you have to break cars in. Driving style----I always drove to get good mpg. Commute....fairly similar through the decades. Highway improvements offset the increased traffic.
An true ABA test has to be conducted same day, way way way to many varibles if conducted over a year(s) Lets start with tire wear, as they wear MPG goes up, did you test E10 or E0 first year, how about variations in winter, variations in driving, I don't drive the same today as last year, how about that maybe that right front caliper that was draging last year but now the pads worn so it doen't any more. How about the MAF that's dirty this year, or O2 sensor that maybe be is better this year than last. Or maybe it's your MAP sensor, or a fuel injector that's failing now and leaking extra fuel. The varibles are almost limit less if you spread them out over a year.

But if you mix 3 tanks of E0 then 3 tanks of E10 most of those varibale get cancelled out of time. Best would be to have some one else fill your car so you don't know or care which happens like with me and my wife. Hence the 18% number she accumulated over roughly 15,000 miles running E85 and 35,000 miles of her running E10(2002 suburban on fuelly). I haven't collected the data as well with her current car the 2010 Impala but a snap shot shows almost the same 18%, fuel log one here if you want to check it out.

With fuel a true ABA same day test is almost impossible to do with traditional means(tank to tank). But it has been done by U of North or South Dakota or U of Minnesota. Some cars did better with higher E content some didn't. Not a easy find but it's out there, don't feel like finding it again, search my old post might be easiest way to find it..

Disclaimer, I like ethanol because it's cheaper per mile and why ship corn out of country to only buy oil or any other product, a properly tuned E85 engine emmits 1/2 the CO2 (green house gasses as a gasoline or diesel(search Cummins E85) and that Carbon was sucked out of the air by the corn plant to make it (circle of life). And no reason that cummins wouldn't be even better on e100, just think if all the truck and tractors that haul the corn out of the fields or delivery crap to walmart could run on it.

Cummins has shown whats possible with cheaper than diesel(installed) cleaner than diesel, more powerful that gas, cleaner than gas, what more could you want.