View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
The donkey CRX
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
Summary of the Mule VX ecomods

Here are some random thoughts about the Mule VX.

I think most of the drivers in the top 10 are trying to get the best MPG while still being able to drive at the posted highway speed. My goal is to use all the EXTREME ecomods and techniques available to get the highest MPGs possible.
Every time I make my 108 mile round trip commute, it is a contest to maximize MPG. My average MPH is around 40 MPH. I drive around 45 MPH on country roads and 55 MPH on the 24 mile portion that is interstate highway. The overall average of 40 MPH is due to time spend slowing down for stop signs and lights and posted speeds lower than 45 MPH. I would say if you do not have some kind of gauge to calculate your actual average MPH, it is very hard to estimate.

Other than driving 45 to 55 MPH, the best mileage technique I use is EOC (engine off coasting). Next would be DWL (driving with load) and DWB (driving without brakes). I only P&G (pulse and glide ) at the top part of a long downhill section of road when I EOC.

The Red Mule is a Honda Civic VX with lean burn capabilities. This means when I am able to maintain a lean burn condition it adds about 20 MPG to my total MPG. This is why there are a lot of Honda Civic VX's in the top 10.

Other than lean burn the other items that add the most MPG are aero mods (about 12 MPG) and the Bridgestone Protenza RE 92 in size P165/65 R14 (about 8 MPG) with 50 lbs of air pressure. NOTE It has been reported that only this one size of the Protenza RE 92 is the best low rolling resistance tire

Here are the aeromods:
Front air dam with adjustable grill blocks. I have temp gauges to monitor both the temp of the water coming out of the engine block and the air going into the intake. I would not recommend blocking your grill unless you can monitor your water temp accurately. (worth 3-4 MPG along with mirror delete)

Delete of OEM side mirrors

Complete totally flat belly pan with 6 inch side skirts. (worth 3-4 MPG)

Rear wheel covers

Rear Kammback, diffuser and rear side extensions to square off the rear of the car. (worth 3-4 MPG along with rear wheel covers)

Let me know if you have any other questions

Last edited by The donkey CRX; 04-19-2015 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: change MPH to MPG
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (04-18-2015), bentring (04-19-2015), bespurcell (05-07-2015), Joggernot (04-19-2015), OG VX (04-19-2015), RPM (04-18-2015), snakester (04-18-2015)