View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
So we'll take a government agency constantly accused of being invasive and overbearing, and now that it's been told about a red blotch on the map we'll accuse it of not being invasive and overbearing enough?

I want black helicopters bringing jack-booted thugs to crawl around my backyard sniffing for evidence that I'm polluting! The fact that they haven't done that to me is proof that they don't care about the environment! Harrumph!

Me, I think it's worth checking the area's drilling an mining operations. I'd also hold off on claiming that they aren't the source of it until those gas sniffing crews say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
(your local gas company hires gas auditors, people who do this for a living to come in to an area and find all the tiny to moderate leaks in gas lines and ID leaky meters every year or 2)

So this problem could easily be solved with existing programs and equipment.
But for some reason doing nothing seems to be the better option.
Must be more politically fulfilling to blame oil/gas extraction than risk finding out its natural.
And then I've got a simple question: If actively and routinely searching for leaks is easy and has long been SOP for the gas distribution industry, why is it not already a standard part of the production end of the industry? Miners have long known that they release gasses and take steps to protect themselves. Drillers have long known that they release gasses and instead of simply releasing it they burn it off. As a followup question, I would ask why anyone would insist that drilling and mining operations, which are known to release gasses, are completely unrelated to a gas plume so remarkable that the scientists who spotted it thought their instruments were malfunctioning- and base their denial on the fact that the government hasn't hired gas sniffing crews to pinpoint the source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (04-20-2015)