View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
jetto-setto
EcoModding Lurker

Fit - '15 Honda Fit EX
90 day: 35.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Wait, 0W-8 engine oil?
You've got a story to tell there...?
EDIT missed it in your first post - sorry.
Found this link on thin oil: ILSAC GF-6 Paves the Way to Better Fuel Economy | GF-6 | Lubrizol

I use Honda Green oil in mine, and that helped me a lot this winter. Honda Green Oil does not come with a grade but I suppose it would be '-5'W20 as its cold spec is much better than ordinary 0W20.

Anyway, the Fit is a nice car with very good FE potential.
I was in the market for a Fit Hybrid when my Insight came along with a deal I could not refuse

The Insight is a nice car! I wish we got the Fit Hybrids over here because I would've been very tempted to go for that.

The Honda Ultra Green oil will probably actually be called "0W-16" eventually. I'm using Honda Ultra Next, which similarly has no SAE grade for the time being, but should fall in line with the new 0W-8 classification. I don't know if there are plans to have lower 'W' numbers but it's possible!

I had a virgin oil analysis done on the Ultra Next, and it is incredibly thin and has a lot of moly for friction reduction. l'll have an analysis done on the used oil when I get back from a 4k mile road trip next month to see how it held up. If for any reason the 0W-8 seems to provide inadequate protection I'd probably switch to the same 0W-16 Green oil you use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetto-setto For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-24-2015), RedDevil (04-22-2015)