View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

Where do I start? For testing I allow one descent to warm up the tires. I start at 0 mph on the incline at a marked spot and start rolling. I monitor my digital speedometer at the same mark each time and look for maximum velocity. I average three runs in each configuration. I record bike weight, my weight, temperature, tire type, and tire pressure.
So far the commuter fairing gives a consistent top speed of 16 mph. Without the fairing the top speed is 17 mph. This is due to a larger cross sectional area. I tuft tested indoors in a hall with a box fan close 12" to the fairing. The flow is smooth except for turbulence at the brake arms. I have tried a waste basket as a tail box but since it was not the same width or height as my torso it had no effect on speed. The use of bar end grips mounted 5" either side of the stem does lower my shoulders enough to gain +1 mph without the fairing. The back angle is 54 degrees from horizontal. My BMI is 36.4 and I typically cruise at 10-12 mph on my 4 mile commute through town using an under seat bag and a fanny pack. In winter I use a Bell full face motorcycle helmet.

To get the speed of 35 mph as Upright Dave has recorded one would need a full body fairing on a time trial bike. The thread is also in the recumbents.com forum of Technical / Bike Building. The record of 51 mph is held by a vertical wing faired Moulton. The question of speed must be qualified by distance and the rider's output in watts.

The issue of a motor involves our state laws in New York. Currently motorized bicycles are illegal on public roads and one could be arrested on the spot. As a practical matter there is much confusion and little enforcement. For example, I asked my neighbor who is a former county sheriff and town justice about the law on motors and he was unsure. He rides a recumbent trike. The kids on our street ride electric powered scooters and no one says much. The helmet law requires those 14 and under to wear a bike helmet. Word I get is that no one will bother if the speed is under 20 mph and there is no accident.

The Bicycle Man sells electric motors and NYCE is a major retail outlet. NYC is still trying to sort out which is an electric moped and which is an e-bike. A moped must be purchased from a certified manufacturer and registered with the DMV in one of three classes based on top speed. As it currently stands I can build a homemade motorcycle but not a motorized bicycle. Back in the 1980's bike motors were popular and the Aqua Bug made Popular Mechanics. I purchased a 23cc 2 stroke motor kit. It is a 1 hp friction drive unit and allowed me to go 25 mph on my Huffy 3spd with a Plexiglas motorcycle windshield. Since the Jamis has V brakes I would have to modify the mounting system. It would be legal in nearby Pennsylvania.

Current bike prices at a shop for a decent city bike are $400 USD here and the local store carries Giant mostly. I see plenty of ragged box store bikes in the racks around town. Trailers are gaining popularity over panniers as the cost per volume ratio is shifting.

Last edited by Grant-53; 04-22-2015 at 01:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (04-22-2015)