View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
So you save money by using very little electricity. It costs them just as much to keep a line connected to your house as it does to keep one connected to your next door neighbor regardless of who uses how much electricity. Why should his electric usage rates pay for your line connection?

Just by having the connection to your house, they've got costs. Every hurricane, lightning strike and drunk driver adds to their delivery costs and none of it has anything at all to do with how much electricity you use or don't use. In many places you can even buy electricity from another provider over their lines, making it even more important that their line connection end covers its own expenses.

Maybe you went with net metered grid tied solar. Now you're not buying any electricity from them even though most of the electricity you use is at night when your panels aren't producing anything. So instead of buying (and finding space for, running and maintinaing) your own battery bank and sweating out the cloudy days you're letting their grid do all that for you by buying all of your production and later supplying you with all your needs out of their own production. And all the while saying "I don't know what they're charging me for, I use less than I produce!"

It's not so much that the pricing is regressive, it's that many consumers don't look at what they're actually consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (04-23-2015), MobilOne (10-31-2015), oil pan 4 (10-27-2015), redpoint5 (10-06-2016), Xist (10-31-2015)