View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
texanidiot25
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Also, at a stop light if the guy behind you loses his brakes or is out to lunch, or is scolding the children in the back of her suv and doesn't see the light. I stare in my rear-view when I'm at a stop. Never know... that's why I'd rather idle at a stop light if there is any traffic. Saving gas should never trump saving your @ss

Steering is definately a major concern. My car is TOUGH to steer without power assist.
That's how my dad avoided a large multi-car rear endings. When he was dating my mom back in HS. '74 Camaro, big block 396, regular bracket racer. One day, he up and ran a red light, and my mom was furious as to why. Turns out a medium duty truck rear ended a car 2 cars back, and pushed a few cars into the intersection.

In traffic I don't engine brake or sit in N (auto), too much going on around me. But engine off is entirely out of the question on my car. I've been in it when it's stalled out mid turn, no bueno with no power steering.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues