View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
That kit is made for turbo setups that are trying to get more power. That isn't really applicable to the setup I want to try. I want to meter tap water, not washer fluid with Methanol in it. Plain tap water will plug up a lot of pumps and injector setups over time. I won't advance the timing or do anything to the motor once I get this setup dialed in and just do a flat comparison of water vs no water before trying to tune anything. I still think the primary reason for the gain in mileage is the increased cylinder pressure so not changing anything else will be the easiest way to test that theory out.

With my test setup the motor does not turn on the pump when driven directly from the injector signal. The pulse just isn't wide enough to get it spinning with the pump on the end of it. I will experiment with a few things I can do to get it working a bit better before I resort to using a microcontroller to regulate the flow of water. I might have to find a smaller pump anyway. If I wire this pump to power and run it as slow as possible with the variable resistor it can empty a 16oz bottle in probably 10 min. That is going to be way faster than I can deal with.

I will have some time to experiment with it this weekend, I will hook it to a pwm controller and see how slow it actually can run. If it won't go slow enough I will get a much smaller pump and try again. The good thing about these pumps is they are pretty cheap so experimenting won't cost much.