View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
So 2 months ago I noticed that the coolant level in the radiator was getting low, a month later it was even lower. My mechanic said that it's very likely that the head gasket is bad, which would explain both the disappearing coolant and the oil in what's left of the coolant. We added coolant to watch how fast it leaks out, but since the car needs to pass inspection in early June, then within the next month the gasket needs to be replaced. The mechanic is very reluctant to remove the head, stating that it is a lot of work (he should be happy, since work = money), that the screws are definitely corroded, so they will be hard to remove and will need replacing, etc., that buying a whole used engine may be less expensive. So maybe I should leave it until it blows. He couldn't guarantee that the replacement engine would not require additional work, nor that when it blows my wife will not be stranded in a traffic jam far from home.

Anyhow, I told him that I want the head gasket replaced in May, and that this would be a great chance to see what is wrong with the catalytic converter. Also, he said that he would take the head to a friend of his to clean and polish.

Since the coolant will be drained I'll install an electric prewarmer, and we'll try to clean the radiator and coolant plumbing from the oil.

Is there anything else I could do to improve engine efficiency while the it is in pieces?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread