View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Arminius -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
The Cobalt has the biggest engine (and horsepower) of all the cars mentioned above, except the Focus (which is also a 2.0L). I wish they'd downsize and get even better mileage.
As I always like to say, the reason I didn't consider going from a Saturn S-Series to a Saturn Ion was that they *lowered* the MPG on the Ion when compared to the S-Series. It was only a few MPG, but it pissed me off, because I just *knew* that the Ion could be tuned to at least match the MPG of the S-Series.

All the marketeers had to do was campaign for an "XFE" package 10 years ago when gas was cheap. Even if the sales would have been small, there will always be people that pick cars based on MPG. Back then the importance of MPG was much less, but it is also a "bragging rights" issue when it comes to advertising. If you can claim equal or better MPG than ToyoNissaHonda, then you can pry a few customers away.

I wonder if the 1.8 liter Asta will come with an XFE option? There's a wimpy little 90HP/1.4 liter/gasoline engine Astra in Europe right now.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society