View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
MickF
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
The radiator air exits through the stock openings to the front wheel wells, which have the OEM wheels. The advantage of this method over bonnet vents is that I am dumping my radiator exhaust into an area that is already turbulent, so it isn't adding to the total amount of turbulent air created by the vehicle. But the air exhausted from bonnet vents, depending on how it is handled, could add turbulence to the car's airflow as it merges with it."
So, is the air in the wheel wells at low pressure? That seems to be a contentious issue on the net, seeing as how many race cars have vents over/behind the front wheels to vent air from the wheel wells (although on some drag VW Beetles they put vents over/behind the wheels to stop the fenders from generating lift). I know the air in front of the tire is at high pressure, but I would assume the air behind the tire is at low pressure.

I'm trying to solve a cooling issue with my car (1971 Datsun 240Z with intercooled 6cyl 2lt turbo) due to horrific airflow issues with the engine bay. I can (and will) reduce the air entry through the radiator support panel, but I'm trying to work out how best to get the air out from the engine bay. The air past the turbo gets to ~ 230C, and heats the firewall & trans tunnel to ~ 70C which makes it rather uncomfortable in Summer.

I could use the trans tunnel as a duct to the rear wheel wells (undertray and with insulation on the tunnel to try and keep the heat out of the car) - not sure how well this would work. Or possibly duct from the engine bay to the front wheel wells (through or under the inner guards) with vents in the guards behind the wheels.

I'm also looked at the 2lt Super Touring cars - the ones I looked at (BMW RWD and some FWD's) had the air through two small radiators and then the outlet air is ducted to vents in the ends of the front spoiler (side of the body) ahead of the front wheels.