View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Nice grab. Is it a turbo diesel? I didn't think turbos and lots of on/off made for a good match; wondering how VW handled that possible issue...
Interesting question. Firstly yes it is a TDI, the 1.6 Common Rail 105hp engine - not sure if it made it to the US, but probably not.

Secondly I've just had a full day of stop start so I'm getting used to it.

It seems to come on as soon as the engine is warm - i.e. the temp gauge has moved - and is activated when the car is stopped and the clutch is out (Neutral). The engine then stops and the "Hill Start" handbrake is applied - so the car won't move even if you lift off the brake.

To restart you press the clutch and by the time the pedal is full down and first is selected the engine is started and ready to go. The car won't move until you actually engage the clutch, at which point the "Hill Start" brake is released.

I used it this evening on a very long traffic light queue downhill near home and it worked really well - stopped, cutch pedal, crawl, stop, engine off, brake on, repeat - no effort at all from me.

I haven't driven "on boost" much yet so I don't know if the facility is disabled if the turbo is hot. I did notice that when I turned up the heater on "stop" the engine started to provide the power. I will wear a pullover next time

spacemanspif (04-28-2015)