View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
BlueFoot
EcoModding Lurker

Grey Goose - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 39.44 mpg (US)
2009 Honda Fit Sport

I recently purchased a 2009 Honda Fit Sport MT after my Focus literally went up in flames. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to achieve 40.2 MPG on my first tank after the dealer's provided tank that gave me a bit of time to get used to the car.

I now have 6 tanks logged. The first one was still the best but I was fairly close with the others and currently have an average of 38.4, well above the 33 MPG EPA.

I've made no modifications to the car. But I figured I could still do a little better. Instead of just relying on the builtin MPG readouts, I recently connected a bluetooth OBD II reader and setup Torq on my phone. I think the main advantage with Torq is that it doesn't max out at 80MPG and I can actually see differences when I'm above 80.

I had read that there's typically a fuel cut off on engines when coasting in gear, so that's what I had been doing. But after watching the readouts on the torq app I noticed that if I coast in nuetral I get signifigantly improved MPG over coasting in gear. Something like 180 MPG vs 110 in gear. I wouldn't have been able to see that difference on the car's readout. The average MPG on both the torq app and on the car's readout have improved at least by a couple MPG since I started using the app.

I'll be very interested to see what my next tank's mpg is, but I'm almost certain it will beat my best. I'd love to see other Fit drivers input on coasting in gear vs coasting in nuetral.

Last edited by BlueFoot; 04-29-2015 at 01:51 PM..