View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Agreed with above. NEVER assume the high volt pack is any good, unless the owner has PROOF of recent installation. I just bought a CVT for 1200 that sat for 2 years and I slapped a 12v battery in it and it fired right up. I had to hold the engine at 3k to bring the hv pack in the back up to enough voltage to kick on the DC-DC converter, but other than that, it ran great. I put 2k miles on the car and I think it was an excellent buy. For 600 you can sell the headlights and skirts and make more than 3/4 of your money back. If it has a running engine, that's worth 600, trans is worth 2-300, DC-DC Converter is 200$. Etc etc. If you can get for 600, go for it. Just make sure it moves under its own power before you take it.

[Edit]: If you fire the car up (be it from a jump or other source of power) and the battery and brake light stay on, Rev the car to 3,000-3,200RPM. You will notice a few bars of regen, and after 30 seconds to a minute, the battery light + brake light should turn off. If they don't after a minute, turn the car off and try again.