View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #1829 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I'm curious about this 'nice new car' that you get to have. Average occupancy of four? Would a Geo Metro suffice? There are some nice EV conversions shown here by EVmetro.

They look good in skirts and a Kamm-back. But for your purposes a custom roofrack side-rail made out of a canted tailfin would look like this:

Some red scallops and you're there.

Get two, a daily driver and a conversion car unless you can throw together an EV in 20 days. Do you have any shop space? I can't be there, but one would learn a lot by being a helping hand in that.

Ask EVmetro about pricing on the parts he uses. EVTV closes out stuff that isn't the latest generation but that still works. OEM parts are cheaper new than the custom stuff, and available used. Like my Lexus MGR. But Chevy Volt chargers and cabin heaters are awesome, [somebodiy selse's] DC-DC inverter, & etc.

How much will the insurance cover? With me, recently, it was a-least-once daily phone calls and/or emails for two months, to get them up from $1600 (after salvage) to $5500 (with an unencumbered title). So good luck, even if it is your own insurance company.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (04-30-2015)