View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #168 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
The 72v controller came. It's big and heavy compared to the 48v 300amp one. I need to take some pictures of the car's progress. I've filled in the hole behind the back seat with a piece of wood that fit perfectly, and then sealed the edges with fiberglass cloth and some weird stuff that you paint onto it. It's super hard now. I also painted a thick glaze of the super hard stuff on top and bottom of it, so it's water proof and rot proof. It's only going to hold the chargers, so it doesn't have to handle much weight.

Man VS wild is on right now. It's awesome... He's in Kenya. I was in Kenya for 6 months last year. I really miss not hearing, "Hello white man." (this was their greeting to me, even after knowing them for several months, and even after they knew my name)

The rear brakes are now replaced and bled. (it sounds so violent) It was difficult for me. We'll just leave it at that. I still need to adjust them, but that's easy.

I haven't checked the front brakes yet. I sure hope they are OK, because I have no more money. I'm going to bleed them, and then it should all be ok. The contactor is not yet here. The 300amp fuse is perfect for the 400amp controller, since it's a slow blow fuse (it can stay at 300 amps forever).

Now I just need the batteries.

Now, I need to put in some batteries. I'm going to get 12 'small' deep cycle batteries, since the car can only hold about 850 pounds. If there are 2 people traveling, I figure I can hold about 550 pounds of batteries.