View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chrysler kid
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*Dimples trigger a transition from laminar,to turbulent boundary layer (TBL).
*On any given day,if there's any wind at all,the Earth's boundary layer will turbulent and up to half a kilometer thick.
*So basically your car is already immersed in in a TBL by 20-mph and doesn't need any dimples to get as good of an attached flow as it can.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If the hail damage IS improving your mpg,it's because it's acting as crude vortex generators (VGs).
*If so,properly sized and placed VGs near the back of the greenhouse would be all that was needed for the same effect.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the science facts as always

Hard to see but I would say marble sized. I'm working on one of my best tanks in the city so far on 93 octane and mmo, and I'm at about 345 miles with a quarter tank left.

I went on a 100 mile commute yesterday in rush hour at a constant speed of 60mph, otherwise my commute is still majority city driving. I did not tail gate or draft on the highway

The only logical way to test my theory is by making a grid pattern on a spare hood and use a center punch to cause dimples. I do not have a hood without hail damage so I can't test my hypotheses

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 05-01-2015 at 05:06 PM..