View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I stripped a bolt hole in my Forester engine block!

I removed the cylinder head, got it milled, oiled the washers and bolts, and maneuvered it into position, with every bolt sliding to catch on everything possible. I lost a friend because I considered working on my car in general and properly torquing my head bolts specifically to be more important than listening to her talk about the milkshake machine at Jack in the Box. I installed the valve cover, the camshaft sprocket, and then could not find torque specs for the timing belt idler pulley (28.9 ft lbs. NASIOC - View Single Post - Meatys Timing Belt Changing Guide). With great hesitation, remembering needing to replace the oil pan on my Civic because that steel bolt stripped out the aluminum hole, I carefully started tightening, but I could not help but notice that it never felt tight. I backed out when it started feeling looser, but it was too late!

I need to leave for drill, so I cannot look into this until afterward, but I need Helicoil 5543-10 M10 x 1.25 Metric Fine Thread Repair Kit, right? Then I need an actual drill, not just my cordless screwdriver, right? I need to pull my engine to properly drill and perhaps even to just get a drill in there, right?

Should I hire someone with the proper tools (and knowledge!) to do all of that for me?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150503_034409.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	17502