View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
xpedro01
xpedro01

custom axles

This is Daox posting for xpedro01. I'm on his mailing list for email updates on the project and I asked Tom if I could share. He agreed, so enjoy!

============================

I spent an entire week trying to figure what method to use for connecting the Leaf power train to the Insight front wheels. Because of the case hardening of the leaf axles I decided no local (we are a college town) machine shop could properly handle resplining the leaf axle. Here is what my first attempt will be. I have cut the axles with a cut off disk. It took almost an hour to make a cut.

The center of the Leaf axle is soft enough to machine, so I hope to have my machinist;
1. Drill into the leaf axle a hole to allow an interference (press) fit for an entrance of 1 inch.
2. With a piece of 1.5 inch shaft 4" long, drill half way the leaf diameter and the other half being the Insight shaft diameter, again being press fit.
3. Press this sleeve over the Leaf axle. It will extend 1" BEYOND beyond the bored part.
4. Now press the Honda shaft into the sleeve and the bored Leaf axle. The weak spot will be where the sleeve ends on the Honda end.
5. Weld it or whatever he suggests.

If this works and the tires slipping provides the fuse, then "problem solved". If the axle breaks, Then I will have to go with the "big boys" that make axles for a living and have proper shaft material. In my next note, I will report on the outcome. If you have any suggestions, please Holler. xpedro01.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tom1.jpg
Views:	3378
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	17503   Click image for larger version

Name:	tom2.jpg
Views:	3352
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	17504  
The Following User Says Thank You to xpedro01 For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (11-11-2015)