View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
ThomCat316
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I love the custom 5th wheel idea. My plan would take it a step further and make a chopped minivan the tow vehicle and a pop up roof on the trailer be no higher then the stock minivan roof. Imagine how cool a new Honda would look, like a bullet train.
If only minivans didn't suck so much... I can't get an affordable diesel minivan with a stickshift in the US, and I'm pretty sure I can't modify any of the available ones to make it work... :-( That said, imagine an early Sprinter built as a close-coupled semi!

Quote:
Anyway, I plan on using standard galvanized ductwork opened up to 1/2 rounds on the front edge of my travel trailer to simulate a radius edge where a 90 is now, especially as mine is wider then the tow vehicle. That ductwork is less expensive then other materials I looked at.
I am thinking of using 8"-12" diameter PVC pipe as a male mold to lay up my radius sections in 17oz. biaxial cloth, which will then get structural foam strips laid up inside with another layer of 17oz. glass on the interior. One benefit of this method is that if you want your edge to follow a curve all you need to do is force a curve in the PVC pipe that matches the design. If you need mirrored pieces you lay up a 180 deg. section and split it to two 90 deg. bits.