View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lovemy92vx
EcoModding Lurker

Pearl - '92 Honda Civic VX
Found this thread trying to figure out how the tank is shaped and how the gas is measured.
The gauge drives me nuts. First because of the way it drops at a certain point when you think it's getting better mileage and then you have to wait for the drop. Why?

In the recent past I knew I was getting 47 plus mpgs regularly when the needle was just above halfway or roughly 200 miles. I've been having trouble achieving that mpg after lots of major maintenance and so have been watching the needle very closely.

Also, does it make sense that the car should hesitate when the tank is less than a quarter full? I've been encouraged to get the best mpg evaluation, run the full tank. I was filling up at a Shell station (using 85 octane-bad or good BTY) but I started getting short fills and splash overs. This has happened at another station. I switched to a small corner store to support a local business and liked the pump but I think the gas was bad.

I thought that gas might be the cause of a hesitation I feel right about where you want to shift (2000 rpm unless I need to get going). That Seemed to make a difference in power, my mpgs looked great on a highway trip at 60 mph from Denver to Colorado Springs. I really wanted to fill up after the first 100 miles because the needle barely budged, but resisted. It will be a good tank since I'm around 350 now and I feel like I'm right above that last darn drop on the gauge.
But now even with the better gas, the hesitation is evident to me again at least (my mechanic can't feel it when he drives it).
Any idea if gas level can make the engine hesitate?

I finally found a Conoco that bubbles up so I can hear it then the pump automatically stops. That will be my pump for three tanks.