View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Thanks. There's another thread I could mention where I seem to have sent the thread completely off the rails.

Alrighty then! I was picturing a frame made of PVC with the fiberglass cloth stretched over it and the resin painted with a brush. With vacuum-bags and pultruded sections I can see how a monocoque is a reasonable goal.

I look forward to the pictures. I hadn't heard of foamed PVC sheet so I Googled it. And the pockets for the curved side-shades will be interesting.

I've been known to draw a sketch with a sharpie, take a picture with a pocket camera and crop and sharpen it in Preview.

What do you think of basalt as a material? Basalt Guru, your source for basalt information and products.

Quote:
2015 Tesla Model S builds bodykit with basalt fiber
Posted on April 29, 2015 by Basalt Guru • 0 Comments

The new Tesla Model S Elizabeth by Larte Design includes basalt fiber on top of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) in the bodykit. The basalt fiber has better physicomechanical properties than fiberglass, and is significantly cheaper than carbon-fiber. Plus, basalt fiber has higher impact resistance and toughness, as well as shock-absorbing properties, which not only make the Model S lighter, but safer in case of a crash as well. The material is also resistant to moisture, salt solutions and acids. Larte says basalt fiber is the future and we certainly agree!