View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 04:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
About the front skirts: You're link is extremely interesting! I did not know about air curtains. They may be too hard for the average lay person to do correctly, as you would almost need a wind tunnel to see the effect. I have a plan on solid front skirts, similar to basjoos's. In fact, his Aerocivic is my inspiration for continuing aero refinement.
The air curtain is a convergent nozzle. The inlet could be any shape, but the outlet is a tall narrow slot. It might be very narrow, a fraction of an inch. Here's a research picture of a Coanda nozzle—the profile may be similar:

You could get a low-tech peek at the performance on a freeway in the rain. I'm always watching other cars front wheelwells there, but I haven't seen one of these BMWs.

Quote:
First thing I would have to do is obtain skinnier rims with a higher offset. I am wanting to run 14x4 spare wheels with my tires, which would set them in a good ways. I eventually will run 165/65r14 Potenzas. Then, I want to build an aluminum frame to match the body contours, and use coroplast for covering. This will be hinged at the top, and I will have rollers on the frame. Inside the fender well and on the frame, I want to place rare earth magnets so that there is no chance of a strong side wind pulling them out while driving.
If you increase the offset of the front wheels, you're working against yourself when it comes to making the front skirts. Lowering will compensate for the reduced track in cornering.

Magnet hold and then let go completely. Bungee cords will release and then increase tension.

I propose a four-bar arrangement for the front skirt. Nobodies made one yet.

You have to imagine the pivots into place, until I make a better drawing. They could be done in 1/4" steel rod and follow the contour of the wheelwell. The two top bars are connected together so that any tendency to rock front to back is damped. Or it could be clamped in the center and be a torsion springs to hold it closed.

You want the front skirts to be bubbles, so you can turn the wheels a bit without invoking the skirt. But it's there for sharp low-speed turns and parking.
_________

Your side view looks reasonable. Extending the nose isn't really necessary unless you are going 250 mph and entering tunnels.Keep in mind the 3D view. Here's a VW Beetle in the aeroform:

There are thing that don't show up in side-view.

Last edited by freebeard; 05-07-2015 at 05:01 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (05-08-2015), Cd (05-16-2015)