View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Makes sense. This old bike's chain & rings don't look like standard (modern) sizes, so maybe not easy to find alternative gearing?

I'm content to just complain about it.
Do me a favor, and measure pin to pin on the chain. It should be all standard single speed chain, in which case you could use whatever sprockets you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of how old this is? I nabbed it at a police auction. It's a Raleigh with a 3 speed hub. I didn't know if it was a new repro of an older bike, or an actual older bike, but there was a sticker on it from the store that sold it originally, and that store hasn't been around for a long time, so I am guessing it's '80s era? There's also a decal that says something about being made with steel, and made in Canada if I remember correctly. I figure if it wasn't made in china it at least has to be from the '90s. I know a bit about BMX bikes, but nothing about this stuff.
Newer than 1970 based on the 36-spoke wheels. Possibly a 1980 based on the white cable housing on the top tube, if that's original. You'll have to go through this thread and look for the details:

Sheldon Brown's Raleigh Twenty Bicycle Page

Looks like a nice bike in need of some vintage parts.

Last edited by Sven7; 05-07-2015 at 09:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (04-03-2024)