View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
taotree
EcoModding Lurker

Intro and request for conversion possibilities

I've been wanting an electric or hybrid car for a long time. The reality is I just don't have time or the tools to do the project myself.

I might have an opportunity right now, though. I have a manual transmission early 2000's Toyota Echo with over 230k miles on it that is burning oil. I think it likely won't pass emissions next time, and either way, the engine is obviously on its way out. Perhaps this would be a good excuse to convert it to an electric.

I still don't have time to do it myself. Is there someone in the greater Portland, OR metro area that would be interested in being hired to take on such a project? How much would such a conversion be expected to cost? I'd want it to have a range of at least 40 miles (much of that highway). We have a lot of hills around here, so regen breaking would be nice.

And a second thing... is it practical to get a plugin hybrid 10+ passenger van? Anyone nearby me that might be up to that task? I would need it to be hybrid so it can be our primary family car and go 1000's of miles on vacations.

If these questions belong in a certain subforum, let me know (or move it for me)

Thanks!