View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #61 (permalink)
Ragtag
EcoModding Lurker

I'll echo fiveller and add some health considerations.

I rode Gardner Martin's Gold-Rush bike, but with a different fairing. It consisted of a formed front fairing, and lycra sides stretched back to a pole mounted behind the rear wheel. My head stuck out a hole on top. The fairing was a very good, practical design that made an excellent aerodynamic shape. He was tight for money and I almost bought the bike (but not the record fairing) before it went to the Smithsonian. But I was tight for money then too. So I didn't. I learned some things from it though. And I shook hands with Fast Freddy Markham.

On a cool day in Watsonville, that fairing was hot as the hinges of hell. Yes, I could go faster, but it would have killed me (literally) to keep up the energy output.

A relatively light breeze exerted serious force when I turned broadside to it. That could be adapted to, but it could also be very dangerous in traffic. I've been buffeted by passing trucks on country roads and I think there is very serious danger of being blown into traffic behind a big truck speeding by. Turning broadside at an intersection into a 20 mph headwind (very common around here) I'm not sure I could control the bike. That's a BIG sail. It's like riding your bike with half of a 4x8 plywood sheet tied to your side.

A fairing on a recumbent is probably ok health-wise. But recumbents do have an anatomical problem that is the real reason why racers don't use them even if they are allowed to. Our bodies are designed to return blood from our legs with our feet below us. Sitting with your legs out front our bodies do too good a job. Makes the feet go numb. It can limit blood to muscles too, because venous blood is returned too quickly.

If you lie down prone, either on your back or your front, this problem is worse.

When riding long distances on aerobars, keep in mind that maintaining that radically arched lower back position is not normal for humans to keep for long periods. Doing it causes disc problems after many years for quite a few people. It can also be hard on the neck over time. Our bodies are mostly adapted to an upright posture.

I commuted for some years 25 miles each morning into San Francisco. I found that I ended up with a touring frame with mountain bike tires. It's more important to know you can ride through any pothole, or even ride right off the road if you have to. Drop bars are good.

I commuted in Chicago on a recumbent for a year about 10 miles each way. That worked well, but I found i was slower than I could be on a regular diamond frame bike. Again, wider tires were more practical for commuting. They have give too, which makes the ride more pleasant.

I liked the recumbent most for slide-outs on ice. When it falls, you don't fall far, which is great.

These days I don't commute by bike because it's not practical. I do pick things up at the Farmer's Market after recreational/fitness rides. I have a Klein Mantra with a rack and aerobars. I find that the nicer ride is relaxing. I don't worry about road hazards. I can do 23-24 MPH in a sprint and cruise faster than a lot of people. And I enjoy it. Takes a bit of maintenance of the air shocks, but it's worth it. I use the aerobars on long rides to give myself a different riding position, take weight off my hands. They don't mean a lot speed-wise.

If you really want speed on your commute, and the roads are good, then look for a time-trial bike. It's true that aerobars are useless in traffic. Also, understand that you have to train for using it. You use different muscles, and it takes time to strengthen them so the aerobars are meaningful. Then, expect maybe a gain of 1 mph average speed over a 20 mile ride.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragtag For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-07-2015), COcyclist (05-07-2015)