View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
mwilliamshs
EcoModding Apprentice

VanDelay - '89 Ford Econoline E-150 XL
90 day: 15.93 mpg (US)

Old White Civic - '98 Honda Civic LX, AT
90 day: 33.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mloveland78 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but you should under no circumstance remove the tow hitch from your Jeep. They became part of a federal recall for the jeep Cherokee. Chrysler had to install the tow hitch to prevent a condition where the gas tank explodes when the vehicle is hit from behind. This was and is a big safety concern with these vehicles. The tow hitch protects the gas tank. Hopefully you already found this out on your own and are safe and sound.
WRONG.

1993-98 Grand Cherokee (WJ) and 2002-07 Liberty (LJ) model Jeeps were the sole subjects of a 2013 Chrysler recall involving gas tanks and trailer hitches prompted by an NHTSA investigation. The OP's Jeep is a 2000 Grand Cherokee (ZJ), so not involved at all in this. No Cherokee (XJ) Jeeps were recalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezzating View Post
Yes its got a tow package fitted, and has the electric fan. I've already deleted the wiring for the trailer, and have been considering removing the tow hitch. So only the tow package models had the crank fan? Thats good news ! I'll remove the tow hitch, crank fan and change the thermo-stat & coolant this weekend in that case
Yes, tow-package-equipped 4.0L WJs (base, Sport, Laredo) have a mechanical fan and others do not (never seen one on a 5.2L either). This fan is bolted to the water pump, not the crank. Shorter studs to retain the water pump pulley were needed in my case (98 5.9L Limited) but with the little I-6 your experience may differ.

A trailer hitch (steel tube under the back bumper) and a tow package are very different. Any vehicle may have a hitch. A tow package includes other equipment like engine/transmission coolers, different radiators/fans, suspension enhancements, electrical upgrades (relays for additional lighting demands, etc). That all of course varies from one vehicle to another, but you cannot buy and bolt on a "tow package" in an hour whereas that's pretty feasible with a "hitch".

Last edited by mwilliamshs; 05-08-2015 at 12:20 AM..